THE PINK RESISTANCE


Seeing and hearing all the negative posts about the Women's March on Washington, I feel compelled to put my two-cents into the discussion. I made the decision to go to the march almost immediately after I heard about it. I wasn't going to see or hear any celebrities. I was going to be on the right side of history; to show my solidarity with women and the issues that directly affect our life; I walked for the future of all women and for the memory of the women who came before me that fought for my right to vote; I walked in memory of my grandmother who was told that since she was not the breadwinner she would not receive equal pay for equal work (remember the scene with Mary Tyler Moore and Lou Grant when she questioned why she wasn't making the same amount of money that the men were getting -- well that is pretty much exactly what went down with my Gram and the owner of the company she worked for); I walked to protest the election of a man completely unqualified for the position of president; to show my disdain for anyone who would reject a competent, accomplished and intelligent woman simply because she was a woman. A woman who was vilified and crucified like no male politician in history. I walked to show what democracy is and that I was one of those who helped Hillary win the popular vote. I walked because we deserve a leader not a tweeter.
In talking to some of the women I met at the march, I found that we had two things in common. We were devastated by the results of the election, feeling depressed and afraid. We also felt that our country had become the laughingstock of the world.
 
There were almost 500,000 people at the march ranging in age from babies to people in their 90's. Contrary to what I have seen posted on facebook as well as what I have heard from Fox news and fake website reports, there was no violence and ZERO arrests. I tried to give the benefit of the doubt...maybe they were confusing what happened after the inaugural when 200 people were arrested. That protest was violent and property was destroyed, but it was in no way part of the Women's March which took place the next day.

As far as the righteous indignation being spewed at some of the profane signs, I didn't see anything that wouldn't be considered just "locker room" talk. My younger sister is disgusted by the "cat" hats. Really, you are disgusted by the hats, but you voted for a man who feels it is okay to grab women by their genitals? Her response: "That was just locker room talk." Sorry sweetie, you can't have it both ways. Do I hear double standard? Do I condone some of the language? I raised three boys. Nothing shocks me and lately, in the last two years, my expletives have tripled... I believe our supreme leader has even been known to tell us what to do with ourselves.... We do have the constitution on our side -- free speech and if parents were concerned, I'm sure they explained what is acceptable in their families and what is not. As far as wearing vaginas or being dressed as a vagina, do you really think the kids even knew what they were?  I saw a couple of signs, but it wasn't until that night while my sister  was in charge of the remote and turned to Fox that I saw any vagina costumes or hats. You see the spin at Fox is always going to be negative when it comes to Democrats, Liberals or Progressives. The commentary from Fox was all about their spin...disgusting and profane. Are you kidding me? Do you even know who you elected as the leader of this country?

Next on my list. The celebrities. I signed on for the march for the reasons I listed above and when I did decide to go, there were no celebrities or speakers involved at all. As it turned out the only person I could even hear in that throng was Michael Moore. Again it was not until we were watching TV that night that I heard any of the other speeches. Please do not judge everyone who attended the march by some poorly thought out speeches and comments by a few celebrities. They were exercising their right to freedom of speech. I get it and Fox jumped on it like a pig in slop.
Apparently Dr. Laura and a few other "notables," Fox TV, etc. said the march was a pro-choice march. Noooooo, it was a women's rights march along with protesting Trump's hideous agenda. Sexual assault (pink "cat" hats were everywhere) was number 1; women's rights; climate change; electoral college; Russia and Putin's intervention in the election; FBI and James Comey; Black Lives Matter; immigration; women's right to equal pay for equal work; cabinet nominees especially those protesting Betsy DeVos as Secretary of Education; Trump's mocking of the disabled, etc., etc.
I know Kayleigh from CNN wants everyone to believe she was mistreated when she went to the march, but seriously, who would even  know her. I think she takes herself much too seriously. Is she giving us alternative facts?

Bottom line, I take great pride in the fact that I participated in the Women's March in DC. I stood up for what I believe. People can spin it any way they want. I know the truth. WE CANNOT REMAIN SILENT. WE MUST RESIST THE ASSAULT ON OUR DEMOCRACY.
This past week someone who is a facebook friend of my grandson called me a feminazi. He told me that women in this country had it great (paraphrasing) and we already had equal rights...that I should be concerned about male rape and male castration; I should go to Saudi Arabia where women really don't have equal rights. And he said that just because I have a vagina does not make me better than anyone else. My response: "You're right. Having a vagina does not make me better than anyone else, but obviously it makes me smarter than the average Trump voter."
I've been called many names this past year, but the one I like the best is cultural elitist. Never in a million years would I have thought I was a cultural elitist, but if it is the opposite of someone who voted for Trump, hey, I'll take it. Oh and by the way, we can thank public education for me being a cultural elitist.
Top of Form



Bottom of Form

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COMING TO AMERICA

Barefoot and Pregnant

Letter to a Founding Board Member